Back to Main Site | conversiontrucks.net
December 12, 2017, 05:15:25 AM *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Performance Chevy 305  (Read 28706 times)
gilbert011

Survival of the fittest

« on: September 28, 2009, 03:18:04 PM »

Hey everyone.  My questions is:
What is a decent upgrade I can do to my chevy 305 without breaking the bank.  This is going on an 86 gmc short bed truck.  My primary engine (350) decided to seize up on me.  So I bought my brothers 305 from a running van,  I decided to try to put a 305 as that is what the truck originally came with.  I am also putting a 400 trans.  Only reason I am going for a 305 is to help my brother move the engine, and also I like the idea of having a 305 that looks like it came with the truck but with a bit of HP behind it, something a little different.  If I did my research right the 305 from the van has a HP rating of 210hp.  I am not looking for something to tear the tires out from me, but just a mild street cruiser with some pep when I need it.  I will keep the 400 trans as that is how it came from the doner van.  Right now I have an edelbrock intake, edelbrock 650 electric choke carb that came from the 350, and I will put it on the 305. 

In ya'lls opinion what type of cam would up the ponies, and should I replace some lifters?  My budget is about $500.00 max.
Choptop
Administrater
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »

First off, Welcome. In my opinion, the best upgrade at this point is headers. If you have to pass emmissions, this can be a pain since you will have to have the smog intact, and get the headers with the air injection lines built in.If not, removing the a.i.r. system will help as well. Whatever headers you get, I highly advise getting the ones that are ceramic coated. The coating will save you lots of money in the long run by saving your spark plug wires. They arent cheap, but do seem to give the best bang for the buck. Then later on, you can upgrade the cam. A Comp cam 268H is a decent cam for everyday driving, but without the exhaust being upgraded first, you wont really see much benefit. Upgrade to headers, then when money permits, get a good exhaust system like Flowmaster or whichever you prefer. Then, upgrade your cam. Start looking around on all of the cam manufacturers website, and see what they have. Several of them can recomend a cam based off of what the vehicle is, gearing, and what you want to do with the truck. I would start with the headers first, and go from there.

If it has a motor, it has my attention.
gilbert011

Survival of the fittest

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 11:34:50 PM »

Thanks for the advise.  I do plan on putting some headers with this setup.  I do not need to be emission compliant.  I live in a med. size town with low regs. (odessa, tx).  But I will definatley upgrade to the ceramics.  I was thinking of the Comp Cams xe268h, and the xe262h.  I have emailed Comp Cams and see what the recommend.  I have to keep in mind that this truck will serve as a daily driver in the spring and summer months, maybe into fall and will have to make daily trips of 65 miles roundtrip.  I was also thinking of the xe250h, only because of the smooth idle it specs.  I will have to make up my mind soon enough.  But just to let you know,  all the upgrades will be done all at once,  I am also cleaning my truck engine bay and cleaning up all the wiring and getting the a/c going.  My project is going to consist of a semi-custom fix up with original equipment touches, and I cannot forget chrome,  I like chrome. Grin
Choptop
Administrater
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »

I can hit Odessa with a rock from my house. I live in Gardendale. I have run the 268h cam in a daily driver, and didnt have any drivability problems. As far as the emmissions, I know you have to keep the cats, and the heat riser from the exhaust into the air cleaner.  Youll have to make sure your factory air cleaner will bolt onto the edelbrock carb. I bought a short spacer for mine, but only needed it because I didnt get the banjo fitting for the fuel line, and that is what hits the stock aircleaner. They also want to see the cold air tube from the front of the core support, to the air cleaner. I usually keep this tube on all of mine anyway.

gilbert011

Survival of the fittest

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »

Thanks for the advise.  This is a great site.
gilbert011

Survival of the fittest

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:38:17 AM »

Would you happen to know where I can get spec on a stock gm 305e engine, especially the cam?  I want to compare the stock to what I am going to buy.

Also,  the cam that you suggested, does it have a pronounced loby sound.  I am looking for something that is about 1step maybe 2steps up from my stock,  I really do not like the loby sound on a daily driver.
Choptop
Administrater
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »

Im not sure about the stock cam, but the one I mentioned doesnt have a lope to it. I will research the cams and let you know.

gilbert011

Survival of the fittest

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »

Thanks choptop, 
the best info I came up with today was by calling the parts stores and asking for a stock cam of a 84-85 305.  If all else fails I will just use those specs.  Autozone and Orielly's speced out the Melling MTC-1, and Advance auto speced out a Sealed Power cs-711.  Thanks for your help if you happen to find anything else.
Choptop
Administrater
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »

Here is some info from Jeg's. I couldnt find the stock cam specs, but the 268H is what I usually run in my trucks. They were all 350s, but I have read articles were the 305 likes cams similar to the 350. Best advice, is to call one of the cam manufacturers, tell them what you have, and what you want to do, and let them decide. Another option is to call a machine shop that builds engines and see what they recommend. Mechum's machine is Midland is the best machine shop in the Midland/Odessa area in my opinion, so go see Scott.

CL12-210-2 - Comp Cams 'High Energy' Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts Details
Chevy 262-400ci Small Block 1955-98
*Note: 50-State Legal for 1987 & earlier carbureted V-8 Small Block Chevy 262-400 C.A.R.B. E.O. #D-279-3, D-279-5, D-279-6.
**Note: In order to use these camshafts in 1955-57 265ci blocks, it is necessary to machine a small groove in the rear main journal of the cam to allow oil flow to the top of the engine.
Good street performance with stock converter, choppy idle.
Operating Range:   1500-5500 RPM
Duration Advertised:   268° Intake / 268° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift:   218° Intake / 218° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.5 Rockers:   .454'' Intake / .454'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle:   110°
252H Series
Ideal for medium sized engines (300-350 c.i.) that require good low speed torque. This cam is a good ''all-around'' cam for family sedans and a great performance cam for turbocharged V-6 and V-8 engines. The 252H cam is a good replacement cam for O.E.M. that works with most stock valve train components. It also works with most overdrive transmissions and high gear ratios.
260H Series
The perfect cam for vans, family sedans, pickups and tow vehicles. Provides exceptional power and a gas mileage increase, especially on the highway. With its great torque and throttle response, the 260H cam can also be used for O.E.M. replacement in most big block applications. The 260H's idle is smooth in large engines with stock exhaust systems. With headers, the 260H will produce a slight exhaust sound.
268H Series
This is a very versatile cam. It is a great high performance cam for small blocks and a powerful cam for big blocks. With its noticeable idle and great all-around power, the 268H cam is great for daily driven performance vehicles. The 268H cam is an ideal cam for pickup drivers who want major power increases. It is also good for big blocks towing heavy loads equipped with lower optional rear end gears.

Choptop
Administrater
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »

Brand  Melling
Manufacturer's Part Number  CL-MTC-1
Part Type  Camshaft and Lifter Kits
Product Line  Melling M-Select Torque Cam and Lifter Kits
Summit Racing Part Number  MEL-CL-MTC-1

Cam Style  Hydraulic flat tappet
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift  204
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift  214
Duration at 050 inch Lift  204 int./214 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration  278
Advertised Exhaust Duration  288
Advertised Duration  278 int./288 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio  0.420 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio  0.443 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio  0.420 int./0.443 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees)  107
Intake Valve Lash  0.000 in.

The Sealed Power cs-711 is just a stock replacement. I couldnt find the specs tho.

gilbert011

Survival of the fittest

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »

Thanks for all the info.  Its been a while since I logged on (out of town trips).  but I will try to get my stuff in order and see what Scott has to offer.  You are the second person to recommend me Scott.  I hear he has about 30 years experience so it must count for something. 
Choptop
Administrater
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »

Welcome back, glad to know youre still kicking. Funny you mention him, I just saw this on Craigslist
http://odessa.craigslist.org/pts/1497688105.html  If ya need any help, let me know.

gilbert011

Survival of the fittest

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »

Hello,

Just thought I would update on my engine build.  I got my motor up and running.  If you are interested you can see my video on facebook under Jilverto Alvarez.  I don't know if you will have to friend me or not.  My video size is too big right now and cannot figure out how to reduce it so I can post on youtube and other forums. 

Finally go the pics reduced to download.

* 305-2.jpg (48.04 KB, 640x480 - viewed 979 times.)

* SBC 305.jpg (68.23 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2114 times.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:25:31 AM by gilbert011 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: